Sunday, May 18, 2008

Sunday update

Last night I was particularly ready for a good sleep after going for an amazing massage. (My second visit this week to my massage guy, who had garlicky hands when I went on Tues but who otherwise gets better every time.) Then at about 1:30 am we got one of the worst aftershocks so far which panicked the people in our complex and sent many running outdoors again. This happened about the same time as an enormous thunderstorm, so we could see the trees swaying crazily but didn't know if it was from the earth or the wind. We nearly went out with the crowds but the rainfall was a little more daunting than the prospect of further shaking, so we stayed in.

This morning I had an early appointment close to a McDonald's so popped in for coffee, juice, and egg sandwich. When I tasted the coffee it was cool and bitter so I went up to the counter to get a fresher cup. As I was waiting I saw a man walk towards my table and thought he was grabbing a nearby seat, but when I returned with the fresh coffee my one-third-eaten sandwich and shu bing (hash browns) had disappeared. My Chinese mental phrasebook does not have an entry for 'hey, some guy just stole my egg mcmuffin!' so I could only explain that my food got lost as I ordered a new one.

No comments: