Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Settling In

Just moved from a place where I was staying temporarily to an apartment where I will be for the next several months, and am running around getting household things and groceries so I can cook at home and start posting food-related things to my other blog. I was a bit alarmed at the end of January to note that in two weeks I had already burned through the 2100 kuai that I got at the airport. That included 1283 for my train ticket and phone, but was still more than I expected to spend while I was here. A lot of foreigners who come here to teach have the idea that they can save a lot of money by maintaining an average native person's standard of living. Most end up saving less than expected because expats are charged lots more for things like housing. On the other hand, many nonessentials cost far less money here, so spending is very easy. Something to watch over the next month.

Cooking here is taking some adapting. The stoves are gas, which heat more of the pot surface far more quickly than I am used to. I managed to make a toaster oven sized batch of sweet but very good granola. I had less success with chicken stock; the grocery in my neighborhood sells chicken carcasses - basically, the tail, back, and rib cage with the neck and head attached - which I thought would be perfect for soup. I browned the thing in the oven and boiled it, the head swelling up and bobbing disturbingly on the surface. The stock didn't smell right afterwards, so I ended up throwing it out and trying again with some wing sections, washing them well beforehand. Still not great stock. Think I need to find a better place to buy the chicken.

No comments: