Thursday, January 25, 2007

Job Interviews, Jinli Street, the Wooden Bus

Work is something that I would like to get finalized soon. I would really like to get a job at Wal-Mart here, just to learn the names of lots of things, but English teaching is the most accessible, flexible, and well compensated work for foreigners. I have quite a few interviews and one place wants a teaching demo, which I am nervous about but which goes pretty well. They say they are impressed. Only one other place actually asked about teaching ability or qualifications. A few of my interviews remind me of those I've had for working in fast food places: Let me tell you about the work, and when can you start? One of my favourite teaching job websites here has a really helpful guide for gauging how competitive a salary offer will be.

Today we visited Jinli Street:



The usual crowd. Those I used to think of as ‘the wrapped up people' are actually from T*b*t.




Archery practice:



The bus we caught home was made of wood. In Edmonton we think the electric buses from the 60s are way outdated; they are older than me. This bus might be as old as my parents. Check out the controls that the driver is using. (The sign behind his head is instructing passengers not to speak to him; all the buses have that sign.)



Here the driver is fixing the door, which kept sticking open. I'm really relieved that there are fire extinguishers on board.

No comments: