Sunday, January 28, 2007

感冒了(gan3mao4 le, sick with a cold)

One of the foreign teachers at a school where I interviewed told me that all foreigners get bad colds and digestive problems when they come. I got both in one day, and am still in the midst of one of the worst colds I've had. 1 day of sore throat, 2 days of runny nose, the coughing started just today - not very fun.

I managed to listen to the Kings game online yesterday without the signal getting too broken up, which was great. (Before, I would get just short punctuated bursts of clear audio, so I would hear something like 'behind the net with the puck!' followed by several minutes of buffering.)

We also have a pretty big stack of movies to pass the time. DVDs can be bought for five or six kuai here (less than a buck), though often they are maddeningly dubbed in Russian. With only one rather silly English TV channel, they are a main source of entertainment. Last night a friend brought over The Holiday and we managed to find the English audio, though it was pretty out of sync with the actors' motions, and then it turned to German halfway through a romantic scene. Talk about a mood killer. We tried turning English subtitles on, but those were literally translated from Chinese: 'you good' for hello, and that was the most easily understood of the lines.

No comments: