Monday, December 8, 2008

Three Wheelers


Outside the market.

My area is well served by the independent drivers on three wheelers - the san lun che. They hang around the gates of large apartment complexes and outside markets and are about the same cost as a cab. When my foot was bad I used them a lot to get around for short distances and got to really like riding with the open air street's eye view as well as the way they efficiently navigate all the little side streets and shortcuts. During rush hour the san lun che are faster than cabs because they can travel in the bike lanes. They are great for covering short distances in a hurry or for when your optimal bus stop is a kilometer or more away.

A few weeks ago as I left the market there were several drivers waiting for customers, including a few of the faster electric powered trikes and one older woman on a pedal only model. I decided to give the older woman some business, and was about three feet away when I realized she had only one arm. I must have stood for a few seconds with a 'hey, she has no arm' look on my face because she repeatedly assured me the lack of arm was no problem and brought me home.

No comments: