Thursday, November 13, 2008

It Really is That Beautiful


The name 'Jiuzhaigou' is often pronounced with a sense of wonder; it's said to have some of the beautiful lakes in the world. I had researched going there before but the more details I learned, the more I hesitated - 300 rmb entrance fee, an additional mandatory bus fare to ride between scenic sites once you get in, ten thousand visitors per day ... didn't sound like a good time. When a friend invited me on the tour I accepted because I wanted to see Huanglong and had lower expectations for our day in Jiuzhaigou. (Our trip was mid week and not during a regular holiday, so even though there were lots of people there it didn't feel too crowded.)

We arrived as the morning fog was burning off:



The squirrels here are adorable, with stripes and little tufted ears.



Water, snow, rocks, and autumn colours blend into some of the loveliest natural scenes:






This lake has fish, and is so clear you can see the light shining through their fins.



These are the tour buses that you ride between scenic areas. It is possible to walk, but it takes much longer to get through.



Waterfalls:




The shot every Jiuzhaigou visitor has to get:



Back in Canada I had heard Chinese people say that the Canadian Rockies are OK but mountains in China are way more beautiful. I'd always dismissed this as homesickness, but now am beginning to understand.

No comments: