Thursday, February 28, 2008

Hong Kong


You never like the places you have to go as much as the places you choose to go; all the same I am enjoying Hong Kong a bit more than the first time. Since I was only legal in China for another two days I had to make a trip out and the Fragrant Harbour was the most likely candidate. I had an agency take care of the visa this time, which is the smartest way to do it I think - no hours of waiting or forms to fill out at the official visa office. I had planned to stay at the infamous Chunking Mansions but ended up bargaining for a deal up the street. I did stroll down to Chunking Mansions, which is a fascinating but slightly unnerving place to walk around alone in the evening - money changers, electronics, Indian groceries and movies, lots of SE Asian and African people around and, um, hardly any women. The place is full of touts trying to get you to eat or stay at one of the many hostels or guest houses. I have a policy of not staying at a place that someone on the street comes up and sells after dark - I always have the prickly feeling that they don't have my best interests at heart. (It was less than half the price of the other place though.) I stocked up on Indian movies from a little shop in the back and got out of there.

Since I had a day to kill I headed up The Peak, a small mountain in the middle of Hong Kong Island. On the way I met this lovely, retro, elegant building - my favourite so far in Hong Kong. Sorry I didn't get the name or address, but it was between the Peak Tram and Central.



Views from the Peak:



At the top of the Peak is a Madame Tussaud's Wax Museum. I didn't go in since I am not that up on Hong Kong celebrities but Bruce Lee holds court outside in his famous striped yellow suit. Visitors strike martial arts poses to get photographed with him.



I walked down the Old Peak Road down from the summit, which is a wide concrete trail that would be pretty easy if it was not so steep. The grade kept my quads and shins in permanent clench. I was passed by many very fit, light, middle aged Hong Kong residents making the trip up, including one guy with leg problems whose walk was a bit wobbly but who was serenely keeping a pretty good pace. Somehow I ended up in the Botanical and Zoological Garden and had fun looking at the animals. The cages made it hard to get good pictures, but this is an emperor marmoset.



Last time I visited Hong Kong I was very unimpressed with the food. This time I did some homework and did a bit better. Food post coming up.

No comments: