Sunday, June 24, 2007

端午节 (duānwŭjié) Dragon Boat Festival



For the past couple of weeks I have seen big displays of zongzi in the supermarkets. Zongzi are the little packages of sticky rice with filling wrapped in leaves and steamed. You usually buy them ready made and heat them up. (I like the ones I used to buy in Edmonton better than the ones here.) I thought this was a little odd since it does not seem like summer food. Last Tuesday, when I got up and went to the bus stop at about nine thirty, the river bank was crowded with people and policemen trying to keep them off the street. I crossed the street to see what they were watching but it was not very clear. It turned out to be a dragon boat race – this is Dragon Boat Festival day. Zongzi are a traditional food on this holiday.

There were too many people to see through on the riverbank, so I watched from the top of my apartment building instead:

No comments: